The Antioch Baptist Church was organized in 1862. The first pastor on
record was Bro. E. Merrill, and the first clerk was Bro. J.S. Clark. The
next pastor on record was Bro. J.J. Byers, who was elected in 1865. In
1866 Bro. J.B. Robins was elected pastor and Bro. J.S. Clark church
clerk until 1868.
In 1868, for unknown reasons, the church disbanded until 1874. In
October of that year, a presbytery composed of elder J.B. Robins and
W.H. Gathright and deacons J.W. Smith of Zion Church, E. Green from
the Nashville Church and Miles Gathright from Pleasant Valley Church
assisted in the reorganization of the church. Bro. W.C. Lewis was
elected clerk pro-tem. The following were holding letters for the entering
into the reorganization of the church: John M. Simpson, R.J. Compton,
Nancy Compton, Peter Simpson, L.Y. Compton, Andrew Wilson, B.L.
Clark, W.L. Compton, O.C. Compton, A.E. Myrick, Francis Craig, J.S.
Clark, Nancy Alexander, John Myrick and Mary Myrick. The church
adopted the Articles of the old church. Elder W.H. Gathright was
elected pastor and Bro. J.S. Clark was elected church clerk.
In 1892, Bro. J.M. Copeland was elected pastor, in 1898 Bro. J.D.
Rogers served the church; then from 1899 to 1922, Bro. L.M. Byers
pastored the church. During Bro. Byer's pastorate, Bro. A.J. Cabiness
and Bro. Seth Keeling were the first to be licensed and ordained to
preach by the church. Later Bro. Jim Reeves was liberated by the
church to preach.
On February 17, 1900, the church was rebuilt at a cost of $214.00.
From 1922 to 1924 Bro. James A. Turner pastored the church, followed
by Bro. C.H. Tippitt, who served from 1924 to 1928. The church then
recalled Bro. L.M. Byers who served from 1928 to 1929, his entire
ministry at Antioch totaling approximately 25 years. Bro. C.H.Tippitt
served from 1930 to 1932. Bro. W.H. Stingley served from 1933 to
Bro. Carr Gathright was licensed during Bro. Stingley's ministry with the
church. In August 1934, Bro. Ellsworth Wortman was licensed to
preach the gospel. Bro. Tippitt again served the church from 1937 to
1943, making a total of 10 years. Bro. Abner Reddin followed from
1943 to 1947, followed by Bro. Clyde Leslie from 1947 to 1950 and
Bro. A.A. Masey from 1950 to 1952.
In the spring of 1951, the building which is now used as an educational
building, was erected at a cost of $2,591.58. (Bro. E.C. Reeder and son,
Jerry, laid the tile).
Bro. Glen Cannon was called as pastor in 1965 and served the church
until September 1968. Bro. Carroll Byers was called as full time pastor in
December 1968 and served until October 1970. Bro. John David Webb
was elected pastor on December 6, 1970 and served until September
During Bro. Webb's pastorate, Bro. Zane Clark and Bro. Roger Arnold
surrendered to preach. Bro. Zane was ordained to the gospel ministry
on August 3, 1975 and Bro. Roger was ordained on July 9, 1978.
On August 25, 1976 a contract to build a new auditorium was awarded
to Mr. Van Elder. $45,000.00 was borrowed to complete the building.
The present auditorium was completed in the spring of 1977 and
dedication services were held April 3, 1977.
After Bro. Webb's resignation in September 1978, Bro. Winfred Baker
was elected pastor in October 1978 and served until October 1981.
At Homecoming services in June 1981, the present auditorium having
been paid in full, a note burning was held.
Bro. John David Webb was again called as pastor in November 1981
and assumed his duties on December 27, 1981. Bro. Webb served until
September 5, 1987, making a total of approximately 13 1/2 years. On
April 12, 1987, during Bro. Webb's ministry, Bro. Harry Almand and Bro.
Cecil Harris were ordained as deacons.
On March 23, 1988, Bro. Farrell W. White assumed the duties of pastor.
Bro. White served until September 30, 1990. Bro. W.C. Malone began
his pastorate of the church on July 28, 1991 and served until October
29, 2000. During his ministry, on July 5, 1998, Bro. Danny Raulerson
and Bro. Clyde Tollett were ordained as deacons. On June 23, 1999,
the church voted to discontinue the monthly nursing home services.
In 1994, Bro. Burton and Sister Faye Hooker donated their home to the
church to be used as a parsonage. A bathroom, bedroom and central
heating/cooling was added. Later siding was added.
From February 4, 2001, Bro. Harry Attebery served as interim pastor
until he accepted the church as pastor on September 28, 2003. He
served as pastor until his death on June 11, 2004.
On June 16, 2004 our radio program was discontinued for a while.
On September 19, 2004, Bro. Bobby Neal began serving as interim
pastor of the church. On April 17, 2005, he was elected as pastor and
continues to serve at the present time.
On December 26, 2004, our radio broadcast was resumed with a thirty
minute program. The Sunday morning message of the previous week is
aired each Sunday morning on KMTB-FM (B 99.5).
On July 26, 2006, Bro. Daniel Robinson made known his call to the
ministry and was licensed on July 30, 2006.
On October 18, 2006, the parsonage was sold.
On April 16, 2008, the church voted to discontinue our annual
Homecoming services and begin having an anniversary service every
five years. The first anniversary service was held in 2012 and marked
the 150th anniversary of the church.